SOME DIFFERING POINTS OF VIEW

I recieved a posting on an earlier blog entry. I usually don't spotlight any one individual comment over the others. But in this instance I felt compelled to shine a light on a view that is in stark contrast to my own. I thank MNunez for his/her point of view and that he/she took the time to share. So without further ado. Here it is.
 
mnuez said...

I'm sorry to hear that you're being dicked around but you should realize that you police officers are tools of same powerful folk that are screwing you over. And they're using you to screw over other working class people.
It surprises me to find myself sounding like a 19th century communist but that's no excuse for my not saying the truth as I see it. What I see is a police and justice system that is biased against the poor and that essentially exists to keep the status quo with the rich being privileged at the expense of the poor. You are indeed a tool of oppression.
I say this as a good, law abiding individual who for the last few months has been driving a really shitty car (owing to a rear-ending by an illegal) and has thus found himself CONSTANTLY trailed by cops. Cops follow me in the hope that I'll roll through a stop sign, not properly signal or whatnot and thus have the opportunity to search me and my car for drugs, contraband, driving without insurance, having a warrant out against me or whatever.
Of course no such things apply but I still get followed and stopped quite regularly because I look like I belong to a socio-economic group that's more liable to commit crimes.
And why do these people in fact commit more blue-collar crimes than lawyers and doctors? Because they're fuckin poor! And they get taken advantage of on a regular basis. And so they're more inclined to try and steal a few dollars to ameliorate their shitty situations.
And you my friend are an enforcer of that system. You protect the rich and follow and harass the poor. You're only a working-class shlub yourself but you work to aid your oppressors by oppressing folk just like yourself (or worse off than yourself).
The good that you do is praiseworthy but the majority of what the police system and justice system does is to press a thumb down on the side of the scale where the well-to-do live - at the expense of the already-suffering.
And no matter the encouragement and pats on the back that your readers grant you, the facts are that you're engaged in a dirty and immoral line of work.
Or so it seems to me.
mnuez
www.mnuez.blogspot.com

Tuesday, July 03, 2007 5:03:00 AM

Delete

The Enforcer said...

Thank you everyone for your comments.
MNunez- Thank you for your insight, I do not fully agree with most of your contentions and the communist rhetoric is diametrically opposed to my way of thinking.
I have no reason to think you are not a decent law abiding citizen. However I do not believe that any one socio economic group commits more crimes than any other, different ones, More or less violent crimes or crimes that lower quality of life issues for everybody, maybe.
That being said, you apparently havent seen a recent photo of the enforcer. My look is somewhat of a biker/inner city kid all grown up now. I too am a decent law abiding citizen, I like the look that I have cultivated for myself and if that means that someone who is entrusted to keep peace and order gives me a toss because of my looks from time to time then so be it.
A guy in a BMW who gives me an attitude is far more likely to get a money citation from me than a working class stiff who is polite and straight foreward to me during a car stop.
I take offense that you say that my lot in life is to protect the interests of the rich, I PROTECT ALL. There is far more working class and poor in the city I patrol and I give them everything I have when I put on my uniform.
I am middle class, I am proud of that and if I have biases then the two that I am keenly aware of are:
1) Rich people who think they are above the law or who look at me like I am their "personal" servant. I am a PUBLIC SERVANT which means I serve no individual, I serve the public good.
2) Working class or poor who are content to blame society for their problems, those who think they are owed something just for having been created, no my friend this is America and we work and strive to be better than we were yesterday, we never take a break and we continually improve. We dont sit back, give up and expect things to be handed to us.
Damned straight the good I do is praiseworthy, the good I do keeps you and yours safe. Nothing more nothing less.
In my opinion there is nothing dirty or immoral about it.
I am glad we live in America where you are allowed your opinion and I am allowed mine and we can conversate and have dialogue about our differences.

Sunday, July 08, 2007 2:41:00 PM

Delete