IT'S GOOD TO BE AN AMERICAN

My mother sent me this email that she received this weekend and I thought I'd share it with you all for Memorial Day. It's easy to have a cookout and enjoy a day off from work, but please save a prayer or thought for those who are doing their part to keep America beautiful. I don't know who wrote the original email, but very few forwarded emails touch me like this one did.

Last week I was in Atlanta , Georgia attending a conference. While
> I was in the airport, returning home, I heard several people behind
> me beginning to clap and cheer. I immediately turned around and
> witnessed one of the greatest acts of patriotism I have ever seen.
>>> >
> Moving thru the terminal was a group of soldiers in their camos. As
> they began heading to their gate, everyone (well almost everyone)
> was abruptly to their feet with their hands waving and cheering.
>>> >
> When I saw the soldiers, probably 30-40 of them, being applauded
> and cheered for, it hit me. I'm not alone. I'm not the only red-
> blooded American who still loves this country and supports our
> troops and their families.
>>> >
> Of course I immediately stopped and began clapping for these young
> unsung heroes who are putting their lives on the line everyday for
> us so we can go to school, work and home without fear or reprisal.
>>> >
> Just when I thought I could not be more proud of my country or of
> our service men and women, a young girl, not more than 6 or 7 years
> old, ran up to one of the male soldiers. He kneeled down and said
> 'hi.'
>>> >
> The little girl then asked him if he would give something to her
> daddy for her.
>>> >
> The young soldier, who didn't look any older than maybe 22 himself,
> said he would try and what did she want to give to her Daddy. Then
> suddenly the little girl grabbed the neck of this soldier, gave him
> the biggest hug she could muster and then kissed him on the cheek.
>>> >
> The mother of the little girl, who said her daughter's name was
> Courtney, told the young soldier that her husband was a Marine and
> had been in Iraq for 11 months now. As the mom was explaining how
> much her daughter Courtney missed her father, the young soldier
> began to tear up.
>>> >
> When this temporarily single mom was done explaining her situation,
> all of the soldiers huddled together for a brief second. Then one
> of the other servicemen pulled out a military-looking walkie-
> talkie. They started playing with the device and talking back and
> forth on it.
>>> >
> After about 10-15 seconds of this, the young soldier walked back
> over to Courtney, bent down and said this to her, 'I spoke to your
> daddy and he told me to give this to you.' He then hugged this
> little girl that he had just met and gave her a kiss on the cheek.
> He finished by saying 'your daddy told me to tell you that he loves
> you more than anything and he is coming home very soon.'
>>> >
> The mom at this point was crying almost uncontrollably and as the
> young soldier stood to his feet, he saluted Courtney and her mom. I
> was standing no more than 6 feet away from this entire event.
>>> >
> As the soldiers began to leave, heading towards their gate, people
> resumed their applause. As I stood there applauding and looked
> around, there were very few dry eyes, including my own. That young
> soldier in one last act of selflessness, turned around and blew a
> kiss to Courtney with a tear rolling down his cheek.
>>> >
> We need to remember everyday all of our soldiers and their families
> and thank God for them and their sacrifices. At the end of the day,
> it's good to be an American.